Dibba Bay Oysters - Frequently Asked Questions
Is oyster farming sustainable?
As an oyster farm, sustainability is embedded in our operation, as oysters are an exceptionally eco-friendly food thanks to their net positive environmental impact. An oyster farm actually balances and enhances the ocean environment for various reasons:
- This form of aquaculture does not require any feed or chemical inputs. The Dibba Bay oysters are simply feeding off the natural micro algae that is in the nutrient rich waters of Fujairah
- Through their consumption of microalgae, oysters sequester carbon and therefore significantly reduce overall concentration of carbon in the ocean, contributing to a better climate!
- The lanterns used at our farm create a hanging reef for aquatic life and vegetation, providing an ecosystem for turtles, fish and other marine wildlife.
Are oysters good for you?
Oysters are truly a superfood, and could be seen as a dietary supplement! They are excellent for your health as they supply many essential nutrients that people are commonly deficient in.
- They have amongst the highest amounts of zinc and omega 3 fatty acids per weight, which are essential for maintaining a robust immune system and restoring vitality.
- They supply beyond your daily requirements of Vit B12 and Vit D3, which are necessary for overall energy levels and healthy cellular function and hard to find in other foods!
- They are low in calories yet significantly rich in protein and trace minerals such as selenium, manganese, copper and magnesium.
What are the waters like in Dibba? How do oysters grow in the warmer waters?
Dibba is located on the East coast of the United Arab Emirates and enjoys pristine waters known rich in wildlife, corals and fish! It is a perfect spot for growing oysters, as it extends towards the Indian Ocean where the waters are cooler and less saline, and rich in phytoplankton. Our oysters are grown at a shallow depth, but not far away from extremely deep water. In that specific area, cold deep-sea currents and upwellings pass through and bring with them cooler waters and a lot of phytoplankton. The oysters feed on the plankton and other algae, allowing them to grow in excellent conditions — comfortable temperatures and a lot of food.
How to shuck oysters
For more information on how to shuck oysters read our guide and watch instructional video by clicking below button.
How does Dibba Bay grow oysters?
We buy baby oysters, known as spat, from hatcheries around the world. Our spat is seeded from our nursery. We place them in our lanterns, lower them into the water, and allow the oysters to do their work! They do not require any feed or chemical substances, they will grow simply by feeding from their natural environment rich in phytoplankton and over the span of 7 to 9 months become market sized oysters. Once matured, these are placed in our depuration tanks, an oyster spa if you will, where they are cleaned by natural sea water to remove any impurities and make them ready for consumption!
Where do you deliver?
We deliver to all of Dubai within 2 hours. The shipping fee varies depending on location.
Can we visit the farm?
At the moment, we do not do farm tours. However, if you'd like to be notified when we do start offering farm visits, you can join our newsletter and be amongst the first to know.